Tenant FAQs

Q: Once I have applied to rent one of the offered properties, how soon will I hear from the Property Manager regarding a possible approval as a tenant?

A: Once the completed and signed application for all prospective occupants have been received by our Property Management Department, the application/s will be processed without delay and all given information checked and required references requested. Depending on referees returning requested information, the process could be speedy or take a little longer. To avoid delays we will inform you about the progress of the processing of your application. Sometimes applicants can help to obtain the required information from previous lessors/agents. You should hear from our Property Manager within 48 hours of submitting the application as to whether approval is possible.


Q: When do I need to sign the lease and pay the bond and rent in advance after I have been approved for a tenancy?

A: The Property Manager will invite you to come to our office within 24 hours after being approved to sign the lease agreement and pay the bond and rent in advance required to secure the tenancy.

All Applicants need to sign the documents required for the tenancy.


Q: How can I pay the bond and rent in advance?

A: The bond and rent in advance may be paid by bank cheque, money order or bank transfer via DEFT if sufficient time is allowed prior to the commencement of the tenancy. We are not able to accept cash or personal cheques to make these payments.


Q: Who pays for water consumed at the rental property?

A: You can be charged full water consumption costs if the property is water efficient and separately metered. You need to pay water charges to the Agent within 30 days of invoice date.


Q: Electricity / gas / phone / internet – Who pays for these connections?

A: The tenants pay for all of these costs unless stated otherwise in the tenancy agreement. This means you need to contact service providers and arrange connection.


Q: Who looks after repairs and maintenance at the property?

A: The tenants are responsible for looking after the property and keeping it and any inclusions (like the oven, for example) clean. You should not carry out repairs without written consent. You are responsible to inform the Agent of any repairs or maintenance necessary. The Agent organizes maintenance repairs on behalf of the property owner. Either the Agent or contractors will request access to the property to carry out repairs required.

If you or your guests damage the property, you may have to pay for the repairs.


Q: Who is responsible to replace light bulbs?

A: The Lessor is responsible for maintaining specialised bulbs, and the tenant is responsible for the replacement of everyday bulbs.

If changing a bulb requires specialist knowledge or specialist equipment, changing the bulb may be part of the lessor’s responsibility to maintain the premises. Please ask your Property Manager to arrange for an electrician to change any specialised light bulbs.


Q: I have replaced the not working light bulb with a brand new bulb, the light is still not working

A: If you have attempted to exchange light bulbs and used a new quality bulb and the light is not working, this could mean, that the light fitting is faulty. In this case please do not attempt to check the light and notify your Property Manager in writing so that an electrician can be arranged to check the light. (May we suggest to make sure the new bulb is in good condition via checking it in a different light fitting).


Q: Are tenants allowed to add fixtures to the property?

A: Fixtures can only be added with the Agent’s written consent. Please ask your Property Manager in writing of any changes you wish to make at the property, this also includes picture hooks and other items fixed to walls or furnishings. Should you install a fixture or make a structural change without written permission, you can be asked to pay to reinstate the property to the original condition.


Q: What are emergency repairs?

A: Emergency repairs are repairs for:

  • a burst water service or a serious water service leak
  • a blocked or broken lavatory service
  • a serious roof leak
  • a gas leak
  • a dangerous electrical fault
  • flooding or serious flood damage
  • serious storm, fire or impact damage
  • a failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply to the premises
  • a failure or breakdown of an essential service or hot water, cooking or heating appliance
  • a fault or damage that makes the premises unsafe or insecure
  • a fault or damage likely to injure a person, damage property or unduly inconvenience a resident of the premises
  • a serious fault in a staircase, lift or other common area or premises that unduly inconveniences a resident in gaining access to, or using, the premises

All other repairs are considered to be routine repairs.


Q: What am I to do in an emergency?

A: You must notify our Office in writing of the need for an emergency repair. Your Property Manager will contact the property owner and arrange for a repairer to attend to the emergency as soon as possible.

In an emergency, if our office or Property Manager are unavailable, or you have given written notice but the repairs have not been made within a reasonable time, the nominated repairer on your lease agreement can be contacted directly for assistance (repairs up to the value of 2 weeks rent may be spent and funds can be reimbursed to you within 7 days of handing our office all of the receipts). Please always try to contact our office first for any repairs.


Q: When and how often does the Agent inspect the property I have rented?

A: Routine inspections are carried out on a 3 monthly interval. The first routine inspection can be done any time after commencement of the tenancy, thereafter inspections are on a 3 monthly basis.


Q: What kind of notice does the Agent need to give to carry out a routine inspection?

A: Your Property Manager will give you 7 days notice in writing prior to any routine inspection taking place.


Q: My Property Manager has sent me a Notice to Remedy Breach, what do I need to do next?

A: If you have breached the Tenancy Agreement the Agent can issue a Notice to Remedy Breach. This gives you 7 days to fix the problem. If you have not fixed the problem within the allowed time, the Agent may issue a Notice to Leave, allowing 7 days for failing to pay rent and 14 days to leave the property for a general breach. It is best to communicate with your Property Manager within the allowed time to discuss how to resolve the matter.


Q: My lease agreement comes to an end – what do I need to do if I wish to stay for another period?

A: Your Property Manager will write to you and ask you to renew your lease agreement and send you a new lease to sign. All parties occupying the property need to be mentioned on the lease and all lessees need to sign the document.


Q: My rent has been increased – do I have to agree?

A: If your Agent offers you a lease renewal with a rent increase, it is up to you whether you wish to stay at the premises at the increased amount. You may accept the lease renewal with the increase and sign the lease agreement. If you do not accept the rent increase you may discuss the matter with your Property Manager or otherwise decide to end the tenancy at the end of the term allowing 2 weeks notice in writing.


Q:  I need to vacate early and will break the lease – what do I need to do?

A: You should contact your Property Manager to advise her of your intentions. She will ask you for your Notice of Intention to Leave in writing with a reason for leaving and to complete a Break Lease Form. You are responsible to pay a break lease fee of one weeks rent plus GST and Advertising as well as rent and cleaning/gardening expenses to the date the property is successfully re-let or the expiry of your lease date, whichever occurs first.

Be assured that your Property Manager will do her best to assist you with the re-letting of your rental property. You are also welcome to introduce prospective tenants to the property, who then may become tenants should their application be approved. It is generally good to stay in touch with your Property Manager to discuss what’s happening and to keep the property well presented for re-letting purposes.


Q: When my lease agreement expires – can I just move out?

A: You cannot move out at the end of a fixed term agreement without giving written notice to your Agent. If you wish to leave you must give 14 days notice in writing. You must continue to pay rent until you move out. You must leave the property in the same condition it was in before you moved in, fair wear and tear expected. You may have to pay for carpet cleaning or pest control depending on the conditions of your lease agreement.


Q: Once I have moved out, how do I get my Bond back?

A: Once you have returned to the Agent all keys, remotes and receipts for cleaning and pest control together with the Exit Condition Report, your Property Manager will schedule an EXIT Inspection.

You get your Bond back at the end of the tenancy as long as no money is owed to the Agent for rent, damages or other costs. Please talk to your Property Manager regarding the inspection and Bond Refund.